Instructor: Mrs. Garay-Abella
Voice Mail: (408) 513-2400 Ext. 6448
Email: ngaray @valleychristian.net
Tutoring: Available on A days first period and B days after school.
Learning in foreign language is essential in today’s culture, especially here
in California. Spanish is one of the most enjoyable and practical language
Textbook: Spanish 2: ˇBuen Viaje! Level 2
Course Description: We will study vocabulary, grammar and conversations in Spanish.
Material required: Each day:
• Pen or pencil
• Spanish- English dictionary
• Notebook – Your notebook will be check daily together with you homework assignments (no binders please)
Final Exam ……….....…15%
Class participation, homework and lab work are essential elements in learning a foreign language. They help students practice grammatical principles verbal skills. Legible handwriting and correct spelling are important. A few letters in a word can change person, gender, tense, or number.
**Accent marks and spelling do count. Gender articles “el” and “la” do count.**
All the class work, tests, quizzes, and homework are corrected to 100%. At the end of each vocabulary section they will have a quiz. At the end of a chapter they will have an oral and written
Rosetta Stone : Every VCHS foreign language student will have an account with the Rosseta Stone online language program without charge. Students will recieve usernames and passwords in September. More information will be handed out and publish on Grovesite when Rosetta Stone usernames and passwords are issued.
Rosseta Stone Deadline:
Unit 1 Friday October 14, 2011
Unit 2 Friday December 9, 2011
Unit 3 Friday March 9, 2012
Unit 4 Frdiday May 18, 2012
1. Show respect to your classmates, teachers and personnel belonging in our school
2. Follow directions
3. No food, beverages and chewing gum.
4. No Cell phones are permitted in class. Participation points will be subtracted and the phone confiscated.
5. Always try your best
First students are issued an oral warning. If inappropriate behavior continues students are given detention: If behavior continues further or is more serious students are sent to the office with a referral and parents will be called.
Class Conduct: Student are to:
• speak and behave respectfully to students and teacher
• remain seated unless permission is given to leave the desk, even to sharpen a pencil. Student may get up to get a Kleenex.
• refrain from throwing any object in class for any reason
• arrive prepared and on time
• remain seated at the end of class until teacher dismisses
There is to be no gum in the classroom.
Tardiness. Student must be in their seats when class time begin, or they will receive an unexcused tardy. The VCHS policy about tardies is outlined in the handbook section of your daily planner.
1. Students will enter the classroom quietly and take their assigned seats.
2. Immediately on entering the classroom each student is to begin the opening assignment posted on the board.
3. Students may get up to sharpen pencils only with permission.
4. If you want help during a class assignment, or do not understand, simply raise your hand, without speaking out.
Travel Opportunity: Teachers at VCHS will take a group of students of all Spanish ability level to Guatemala for our yearly mission trip sponsored by the Association of Christian Schools International. The trip will be during Winter Break in February. More information will be sent home in October.
They are required to study every night, and workbook pages will be assigned.
Homework will be checked at the beginning of each class. The Week’s work,
Quizzes ad tests can be seen in the Grovesite into their planner.
• Students with excused absences will be allowed the number of days absent for make up homework.
• Late homework will not be accepted after excused absence or notification from parents or administration.
• All Workbook pages MUST have the owner’s name.
• Assignments that are not turned in will receive zero.
Hall pass entitle you to use the restroom, get drink of water or go to your locker without being tardy. If you don’t use it, you may change it for points the days of the finals. (December/May)